Wednesday, March 24, 2010

When the thumb misses the mouth

The other day I was visiting with a young mother and her little girl. 7 month old Juli was playing and laughing and, as usual, charming the socks off me. We were just chatting away, and then I noticed little Juli trying to get her thumb into her mouth. It was so cute, as this little munchkin repeatedly shoved her thumb to her face - it didn't hurt or anything - she would take it back, as if gauging the distance and then she would shove into her cheek, then into the other cheek and this happened 4 or 5 times in a row. It was so funny, her mom and I just laughed and laughed as her momma finally guided the poor misfiring thumb into her sweet little mouth.

So, here's the point. There are so many times in life I am going along thinking that I have figured out what will make me happy, content and satisfied - I pull back my thumb and jab it toward my mouth, sure that this time it will be the right fit and I will be happy. Then, to my frustration I find that I am not happy and satisfied after all - the pushing for money did not do it and the pushing for more hobbies did not do it and the drive for success and achievement, that didn't do it either and neither did escaping into the sports or the tv or the making everybosy happy around me - each time the thumb seems to have missed my mouth - when all the while, my mouth was right there, waiting for me to hit the mark and find some more peace and satisfaction than I ever had before.

Life in America, it seems, is mostly a pursuit of more - trying to find the right "more" thumb hole to make us finally content - when many times it is actually that we are looking in wrong place for our thumb. At More than more, we are all about helping people begin to look past the "business as usual" American lifestyle to finding something "More" out of life. We can't make you content, but, like Juli's mom, we would like to show you where you may be able to find more peace and more joy and more wonder in life - we'd like to point your thumb toward the mouth it has been searching for - we certainly are finding that the "More" we are finding is more fulfilling, more wonderful, more amazing, more fun than we ever dreamed...

If you are spending your life going after things that just seem like they are not nearly as wonderful as you thought they'd be, if you seem to run after things in life, only to find them not as satisfying as you expected, if your life has an emptyness to it that you just can't seem to fill or shake off, or if you are just curious, we would love to have you join us next Thursday, 4/1/10 at McAllister Recreation Center - just off 20th and Schuyler Ave, Lafayette, 6:45-8:00PM.

No comments: