Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tonight 5-15

Hello everyone! We had a good time tonight worshipping, praying and sharing concerns and then learning a little too. Then sharing communion over Melissa's zucchini muffins and grape juice.

Our worship tonight was an exercise in praising God for the sounds around us. We thanked God and talked to him while we listened to a series of sound clips...which I have tried to attach to the blog entry...but have been unable- if you want it, please email me. It was different and fun to see how worshipping God can be as simple as quieting our hearts long enough to hear all the wonderful and awesome things around us that God has made and then talking to Him about it. If you want to try it, just let me know, and I will forward you the playlist and you can set aside a few minutes to worship to the sounds we listened to!

Our discussion centered around an article in the Lafayette Journal and Courier this week about searching for the meaning of life - here's the link - http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=LIVING. We had a good discussion about this article and what the meaning of life and purpose of life really is. The interesting thing about the article is that the same person who didn't believe in meaning in life and believed that life was accidental believed that all people found purpose in their own way and that some examples of that would be to "find purpose in honoring God, teaching, helping the homeless or raising a family," he said. "These are all the correct purpose for each person and they find meaning in that." The interesting thing is that this guy who claims to not believe in purpose seems to believe that Christ-like purposes like the ones he names are worth while.

Isn't interesting that even the skeptics of Christianity end up often simply helping us explain the Truth that we believe? In much the same way as we talked about a few weeks ago that Ghandi used Christ's behavior patterns and techniques to get wonderful results for India - this guy is asserting that purpose and meaning might just come in the actions that Christ taught...like honoring God, teaching, helping the homeles or raising a family. The trick is that Christ didn't teach to do it because it is right, or because you want to have meaning - He taught to do it because it overflows from your heart full of love - a heart that is full of joy and satisfaction and meaning in life with the meaningful actions simply and naturally flowing out from that. It is a much better way to live. Some might even say it is the More of More than More!

We then introduced a new path of learning we'd like to travel down over the next several weeks. The lessons are based out of Ecclesiastes and in them we will be following some of the paths to "More" that we as Americans frequently travel down and seeing what tends to prompt them, what they can lead to, etc. We may even have some people in to talk who have followed these paths to the very end, to talk about what they found there.

We also plan to continue to search for new and different ways to worship. And at least one of our meetings this summer will be outside.

Well, if you missed the time we shared, we're sorry - but we hope to see you 5/29 - 6:45-8:00PM at McAllister!

3 comments:

More than Survival said...

I think this ministry that you guys are doing is GREAT!!!! I pray that God continues to bless it and that it may grow and touch more and more lives!!! More Than More!!! That reminds me of a motto around our house... Less is more! Less stuff, less activities, less junk equals more time to spend together, more money saved, more time to focus on what really matters in life, Jesus and others!!! Praying for you all!
Heather C.

mike said...

Hi Jason,
It's Mike. You re treating my brother Bob for Emphysema. I returned home to Ca. had a conversation with his wife last night. Learned that Bob is going on hospice. I am so happy you and my cousin's wife (his hospice nurse) will be helping him through this phase. If possible could you respond to my comments so we can exchange email addresses.
For King and Kingdom,
Mike C.

Anonymous said...

This is great! Keep it up... I found this and thought that it was in harmony with your last post....



This Is My Father's World
By Maltbie D. Babcock



The heavens are yours, and the earth is yours;
everything in the world is yours—you created it all.
~ Psalm 89:11 ~

his is my Father's world,
and to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world: I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
His hand the wonders wrought.


This is my Father's world,
the birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white, declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world: He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass;
He speaks to me everywhere.


This is my Father's world.
O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world: why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King; let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let the earth be glad!


This is my Father's world,
dreaming, I see His face.
I open my eyes, and in glad surprise cry, "The Lord is in this place."
This is my Father's world, from the shining courts above,
The Beloved One, His Only Son,
Came - a pledge of deathless love.



This is my Father's world,
should my heart be ever sad?
The Lord is King - let the heavens ring. God reigns - let the earth be glad.
This is my Father's world. Now closer to Heaven bound,
For dear to God is the earth Christ trod.
No place but is holy ground.


This is my Father's world.
I walk a desert lone.
In a bush ablaze to my wondering gaze God makes His glory known.
This is my Father's world, a wanderer I may roam
Whate'er my lot, it matters not,
My heart is still at home.

Stephen W Murphy

Stephenwmurphy3513@hotmail.com

Get linkIn to me ….. http://tinyurl.com/3rapvg